Go To Hellman: Towards Impact-based OA Funding
peter.suber's bookmarks 2018-12-29
"What if there was a funding channel for monographs that allocated support based on a measurement of impact, such as might be generated from data aggregated by a trusted "Data Trust"? (I'll call it the "OA Impact Trust", because I'd like to imagine that "impact" rather than a usage proxy such as "downloads" is what we care about.)
Here's how it might work:
- Libraries and institutions register with the OA Impact Trust, providing it with a way to identify usage and impact relevant to the library or institutions.
- Aggregators and publishers deposit monograph metadata and usage/impact streams with the Trust.
- The Trust provides COUNTER reports (suitably adapted) for relevant OA monograph usage/impact to libraries and institutions. This allows them to compare OA and non-OA ebook usage side-by-side.
- Libraries and institutions allocate some funding to OA monographs.
- The Trust passes funding to monograph publishers and participating distributors. ..."