‘Be nice to each other’ – the second Researcher 2 Reader conference | Unlocking Research
lkfitz's bookmarks 2017-02-27
"Aaaaaaaaaaargh! was Mark Carden’s summary of the second annual Researcher 2 Reader conference, along with a plea that the different players show respect to one another. My take home messages were slightly different:
- Publishers should embrace values of researchers & librarians and become more open, collaborative, experimental and disinterested.
- Academic leaders and institutions should do their bit in combating the metrics focus.
- Big Deals don’t save libraries money, what helps them is the ability to cancel journals.
- The green OA = subscription cancellations is only viable in a utopian, almost fully green world.
- There are serious issues in the supply chain of getting books to readers.
- And copyright arrangements in academia do not help scholarship or protect authors*."