Job Application for Deputy General Counsel at Wikimedia Foundation
lkfitz's bookmarks 2017-09-13
"The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced, collaborative, and forward-thinking Deputy General Counsel to join us in seeking to make the world’s knowledge accessible to all. The Foundation is the nonprofit that supports Wikipedia, one of the world's most popular and beloved sites, as well as a diverse, global community of volunteer editors, developers, and affiliate organizations. The Deputy Counsel will support the General Counsel in leading the organization’s legal department. In addition to providing legal services, the legal department’s proactive litigation, education, and public policy work advances the Foundation’s mission in areas including freedom of expression and access to knowledge.
The Deputy General Counsel will be a hands-on leader with management experience, who will help to oversee and develop a highly talented and collaborative team of 9 lawyers and 2 paralegals, along with a number of fellows and interns. The Deputy Counsel will also work closely with the executive team and other key Foundation leaders across departments and functions.
We are looking for expertise and experience covering a range of legal topics relevant to our work, with a particular focus on advising consumer-facing internet/digital companies and the ability to oversee our technology transactions and product counseling.
- Advise the General Counsel and executive leadership team.
- Work collaboratively with the General Counsel and legal department staff members to define a strategy for the legal department within the Foundation and Wikimedia movement. Help set priorities and build the infrastructure to deliver on that strategy.
- Work with the General Counsel to develop and lead a strong, diverse, and collaborative team serving Foundation administrative needs, programmatic goals, and the Wikimedia movement:
- Oversee the work of various workflows and manage assigned lawyers; mentor junior staff.
- Provide strong transactional support and product counseling for engineers/technologists; this will include direct counseling, as well as negotiation and drafting of complex commercial, technology, open source, mobile, and other agreements.
- Provide advice and counsel on other areas of the law, which, depending upon our needs and your experience, may include domestic and international copyright law, licensing, litigation strategy, employment, freedom of expression and access, or privacy/security.
- Be an effective and clear communicator on relevant legal topics and developments for Foundation staff, affiliated organizations, and users, editors, and developers globally."