Head, Research Services Librarian III or IV Job Opening in Amherst, Massachusetts - ALA JobLIST | Jobs in Library & Information Science & Technology
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-01-17
"The UMass Amherst Libraries seek a dynamic and innovative Head of the Research Services department, who will:
- Provide innovative leadership to redefine the future roles and responsibilities of the department, expanding the discipline-based focus to include a functional model of library engagement.
- Develop, implement, and deliver library research services and initiatives to support the scholarly and academic activities of faculty, researchers, and students, including functional and discipline-specific instructional and research support, scholarly communication, digital scholarship, and systematic reviews.
- Provide overall direction for a diverse group of staff to develop and implement a research services program.
- Supervise and mentor departmental personnel as individuals and as a team. Monitor staff training opportunities to ensure staff have the skills and tools necessary for supporting 21st century library services in a rapidly changing environment.
- Empower staff to make independent decisions at appropriate operational levels, holding staff accountable for successful completion of assignments, establishing workloads and procedures, providing guidance and direction, monitoring and evaluating performance, and coaching and counseling as needed.
- Align departmental planning, priorities, goals, objectives and services with strategic initiatives of the Libraries and the University.
- Develop metrics for success and analyze trends to continually evaluate services and their impact.
- Use data and assessment techniques to support evidence-based changes to services, programs and the user experience.
- Formulate, revise, and implement policies and procedures in response to evolving operational needs. Interpret such policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff as necessary.
- Serve as a liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Oversee the development of web sites, tutorials, and/or other online tools in support of discipline-based instruction and research support.
- Collaborate closely on research service projects with all relevant library stakeholders including Undergraduate Teaching & Learning Services, Science & Engineering Library, Information Resources Management, Special Collections & University Archives, and especially Scholarly Communication.
- Monitor, select, and assess (evaluate) collection and information resources in all formats in support of the teaching and research needs of relevant academic departments and programs.
- Work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the UMass Amherst Libraries and the campus.
- Participate in library-wide planning and governance, work in a shared decision-making environment, and serve as a member of the Library's Senior Management Group and other library committees and working groups.
- Represent the Libraries on appropriate campus committees, and at selected professional meetings and conferences as required.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and best practices as they relate to library services. Attend professional development activities as assigned or required to meet departmental goals and objectives.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required to meet departmental and university goals and objectives."