Adding citations as part of the software publication process – Daniel S. Katz's blog
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-04-09
"I see two potential options, which somewhat overlap:
- Software publishing venues (e.g., zenodo and figshare) could create a mechanism for submitters to provide citation information when they submit software for publication.
- Software developers could add a file (perhaps called 'REFERENCES'?) in their repositories. This file would contain a list of reference for the software in the repository, and ideally would be both human and machine-readable.
If 2 was implemented, the software publishers could ingest this file, making 1 easier.
To make this happen, we would need:
- The software community to agree that there is value is having references to other products (software, papers, data, etc.) as part of their work
- The software (and publisher?) community to agree on a standard way to record these references
- Software publishers to implement this as part of the submission/publication process
I think this is 100% feasible, and technically relatively simple.
If this makes sense, how could we move forward?
Are there other, better options?"