OPERAS-D Conference Report | Zenodo
ab1630's bookmarks 2018-06-07
"A report on 1st OPERAS Conference activities and conclusions. The event focusing the topic of "Open Scholarly Communication in Europe: Addressing the Coordination Challenge” was organized by the National Documentation Centre and celebrated between 31 May – 1 June 2018 in Athens, Greece.
Despite the impetus given by the EC to the development of OA through a systematic support for at least ten years and a growing commitment on behalf of national policy makers to move the OA conversation forward, a lot of issues have come up during the process, associated with data fragmentation, multilinguism, competition, sustainability, scalability, stakeholder engagement, state support, the lack of incentives and debates over funding models.
Nevertheless, prospects seem to be particularly favorable thanks to community’s strong enthusiasm, the realization that not everything can be tackled simultaneously and the determination to keep on working together to
• separate communication from prestige and scientific value from journal impact factors
• make sure that SSH scientists will be listened by governments
• make EOSC a common place for all European researchers
• expand existing collaborative networks and
• fast track the development of global Open Standards and fair funding models."