Science Librarian in Poughkeepsie, NY for Vassar College
flavoursofopenscience's bookmarks 2020-01-17
Department: Main Library Duration of Position: Full year / Full time Position Type: Administrator Posting Date: Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled Posting Number: 1001780 About Vassar College Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus. Position Summary and ResponsibilitiesVassar College Libraries seeks an innovative and collaborative professional to join its Academic Engagement group as the Science Librarian. The ideal candidate for this position will have a dual passion for the sciences and for undergraduate liberal arts education, as well as a strong interest in the rapidly-changing world of scientific scholarly communication. As the liaison to science departments and multidisciplinary programs, they will bring a learner-centered perspective to instruction and research support, and they will take initiative in communicating and partnering with faculty and other campus colleagues. They will embrace opportunities to grow in their knowledge of scholarly communication, open access publishing, and research data management, and will serve as a resource and advocate in these areas for others in the Vassar community. This is an exciting time to join Vassar College and the Libraries. Recent curricular developments include the launch of 'Intensives,' courses that foster collaboration across academic departments and encourage innovative approaches to teaching and learning both inside and outside of the classroom. The Libraries' Academic Engagement group, which builds on VCL's long-standing research services program, is also undergoing a transformation to underscore our emphasis on teaching and learning and our collaborations in and beyond the classroom. The Science Librarian will play an essential role in envisioning and helping to shape the future of the department. Responsibilities:
- Serve as a liaison to academic departments and programs through research consultations, instruction in a variety of modes, collection development, and outreach and engagement efforts.
- Support research and grant-writing in the sciences by providing consultation and instruction on data management tools and methods.
- Provide resources for copyright guidance and support for scholarly communication and open access publishing across disciplines, and promote open access initiatives and the college's institutional repository.
- Provide daytime, drop-in reference service to the Vassar community.
- Individually and collaboratively, develop workshops, events, and other programming relevant to the Vassar community.
- Contribute to the Academic Engagement department's programs and services, and lead one or more of the department's initiatives on a revolving basis (e.g., overseeing student workers).
- Review, select, and acquire materials to support the Vassar curriculum and assist in negotiating contracts for large publisher packages.
- Participate in broader campus initiatives, including campus-wide committees, task forces, planning groups, pre-major advising, etc.
- Participate in professional development activities including attending library and subject area conferences, training workshops, etc.