Scholarly Communications Librarian | DLF Job Board
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-02-01
"The Scholarly Communications Librarian promotes open access, open data, and open educational resources on the Vanderbilt University campus. As a member of the scholarly communications team, the Scholarly Communications Librarian consults with faculty, students, and staff about open access publication models, analyzes faculty publishing patterns, promotes open data sharing, fosters the development of open educational resources, and evaluates emerging research communication tools. The Scholarly Communications Librarian also manages the institutional repository, coordinating the ingestion workflow in dialogue with liaison librarians in the divisional libraries and metadata specialists in technical services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Promote Open Access, Open Data, and Open Educational Resources
- Educate students, faculty, and staff about open access publication models;
- Support students with depositing electronic theses and dissertations;
- Assist with the curation and publication of open datasets;
- Promote relevant open educational resources to faculty and students;
Manage Institutional Repository Workflow
- Support students, faculty, and staff with self-archiving materials;
- Develop and maintain bibliography of faculty publications in consultation with liaison librarians in the divisional libraries;
- Research copyright status of faculty publications and assist liaison librarians with securing copyright permissions, as needed;
- Coordinate with technical services personnel to facilitate metadata standards and descriptive practices;
- Consult with special collections staff about ephemera and “grey literature” requiring preservation;
- Flag potential copyright violations for review;
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the IR software.
Participate in Campus-Wide Activities
- Support the records management program in special collections by depositing institutional records according to agreed schedules;
- Maintain records of copyright licenses, permissions, and assignments;
- Assist with the promotion of Open Access Week, Open Data Day, and Open Education Week.
Research and Development
- Study the effect of depositing articles in institutional repositories on scholarly citations;
- Research alternative methods of circulation analysis, including “alt-metrics”;
- Evaluate new tools and emerging technologies for communicating scholarly research;
- Analyze and report on the global impact of faculty scholarship and make recommendations about how better to monitor and enhance international access to faculty research."