O3S Call for Papers | SOCY l Sociology Department l University of Maryland
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-04-04
"O3S: Open Scholarship for the Social Sciences
October 26-27, 2017 University of Maryland, College Park
CALL FOR PAPERS
SocArXiv will host the inaugural O3S: Open Scholarship for the Social Sciences symposium on October 26 and 27, 2017 at University of Maryland, College Park. The symposium will (a) highlight research that uses the tools and methods of open scholarship; (b) bring together researchers who work on problems of open access, publishing, and open scholarship; and (c) facilitate exchange of ideas on the development of SocArXiv.
The symposium will feature two keynote speakers: Tressie McMillan Cottom, sociology professor at Virginia Commonwealth University; and Jeffrey Spies, co-founder and chief technology officer at the Center for Open Science. Participants will also participate in panels and a workshop session on the future challenges and next steps for SocArXiv.
The O3S Symposium will take place during Open Access Week, a global event raising awareness about the benefits of open access and inspiring wider participation in making open access a new norm in scholarship and research.
We invite social science papers or presentations related to the following themes:
- Research on any topic that includes open scholarship components. This may entail a demonstration case showing how to do an open scholarship project, providing data and code for results, working with collaborators, or other examples of open scholarship in practice.
- Research about open scholarship itself. This may include mechanisms for making data and code public, workflow processes, publication considerations, citation metrics, or the tools and methods of open scholarship.
- Research about replication and transparency. This includes both replication studies and research about replication and reproducibility issues.
Submissions are due by June 1, 2017.
Submissions may include papers or other project materials. E-mail presentation information to email@example.com by June 1, 2017. Include the following information:
- Names of author(s)/presenter(s) and contact information.
- For non-paper presentations, include a brief description and rationale explaining how the paper fits within the themes and goals of the O3S Symposium.
- For paper submissions, upload your paper to SocArXiv and tag it #O3S17.
- Any AV needs beyond a laptop/projector.
- Travel stipends of $1,000 will be available to a limited number of presenters. Please indicate whether you would like to be considered for a travel award.
Presenters will be notified of the status of their submission by July 1, 2017. All communication will be sent via e-mail.
Visit https://socy.umd.edu/centers/socarxiv-o3s-conference and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for information and updates. Anyone interested in open scholarship and SocArXiv is welcome to attend O3S. Registration (details coming soon!) will include a nominal fee."