A Shareable Explainer: What are the Commons? | P2P Foundation
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-05-01
"Commons are often associated with natural resources like the oceans and forests — areas that belong to everyone. But commons are not just resources. They are not simply Wikipedia pages or the city grounds used for urban gardening. They comprise of a resource, a community, and a set of social protocols. The three are an integrated, interdependent whole.
- What are the commons?
- Is there an example of a commons business model?
- In what areas are commons active?
- Is commons a new idea or are there examples from the past?
- How do privatization and enclosure affect the commons?
- What is the importance of digital commons?
- What role can commons play in the actual economic and institutional crisis?
- What are briefly the differences between commons and markets?
- Further reading"