Job Application for Director of Design at Wikimedia Foundation
lterrat's bookmarks 2017-08-31
"Delivering excellent learning experiences and supporting collaboration at scale are among our principal goals as an organization. We work in the open, with a transparent and participatory process. Collaboration with our communities is at the core of our product development and we want design to guide this process. Wikimedia seeks a design director to mentor and empower a team of design practitioners to deliver useful, beautiful, and engaging solutions that our users love.
- Mentor our team of designers. Provide input as an expert in design processes and methodologies to inspire and support a multidisciplinary team in creating world-class solutions
- Foster a culture of design among the community and the organization. Build strong relationships and a shared understanding with other leaders in the organization as well as the volunteer communities that help develop our projects and their content, in support of effective collaboration
- Lead design research efforts to understand people’s motivations and needs to inform product strategy at Wikimedia
- Support product teams and coordinate their design efforts to ensure a coherent experience for users on different platforms
- Manage one direct report; mentor, motivate and support their continuous professional development
- Assist with headcount planning and manage team budget"