An open letter on open access: call for greater clarity and transparency of open access terms and conditions – The Publication Plan for everyone interested in medical writing, the development of medical publications, and publication planning
peter.suber's bookmarks 2022-06-22
"On 1 March 2022, cOAlition S wrote to publishers as part of the Plan S initiative to drive open access publishing. Acknowledging recent progress made by publishers to increase open access to scientific publications, cOAlition S urged publishers to take further steps by making details of their open access policies and contracts more obvious for authors. The letter signed by Professor Johan Rooryck, Executive Director of cOAlition S, calls on journals to make the following information plainly available for authors at the point of submission:
- the copyright licence that authors would need to sign before their manuscript’s publication
- all costs associated with publishing the manuscript
- whether the journal will re-direct the manuscript to another journal based on reasons other than editorial rejection.
While details on these policies can often be found on a journal’s own web site or via the publisher’s web site, cOAlition S states that it would be helpful for authors if this information were displayed:
- prominently on the journal’s web site
- as a part of the ‘Information for Authors’ section
- at the start of the journal’s submission process...."