Paper mills research | COPE: Committee on Publication Ethics
peter.suber's bookmarks 2023-05-27
- A major education exercise is needed to ensure that Editors are aware of the problem of paper mills, and Editors/editorial staff are trained in identifying the fake papers.
- Continued investment in tools and systems to pick up suspect papers as they are submitted.
- Engagement with institutions and funders to review incentives for researchers to publish valid papers and not use services that will give quick but fake publication.
- Investigation of protocols that can be put in place to impede paper mills from succeeding in their goals.
- Review the retraction process to take account of the unique features of paper mill papers.
- Investigate how to ensure retraction notices are applied to all copies of a paper such as preprint servers and article repositories...."