Job: Programme Leader Citizen Science / Societal Engagement (end of play: Jan 07, 2023) | NWO
flavoursofopenscience's bookmarks 2022-12-12
English translation via gTranslate, original posting at: https://www.nwo.nl/vacatures/programmaleider-citizen-science/societal-engagement
Do you have a passion for Open Science? Are you that ambitious connector and director with a clear vision of how Citizen Science and Public Engagement will lead to a more open, inclusive and participatory scientific practice? Then this vacancy at NWO is for you.
Minister Dijkgraaf recently announced extra investments so that Open Science really becomes the standard in scientific research in the coming years. NWO has been asked to coordinate this by setting up a temporary Open Science directing body, following the example of other directing bodies at NWO, such as SIA and NRO. A budget of € 20 million per year is available for this for the next 10 years. The coordinating body will work closely with universities, medical centres, universities of applied sciences and service organizations such as SURF, DANS, 4TUdata and the university libraries.
Making data, publications and other research products openly available alone is not enough to realize the transition to Open Science. Citizen Science and Societal Engagement contribute to making the research process itself more open, inclusive and participatory by involving social partners, including citizens. As a Citizen Science / Societal Engagement program leader, you have an important role in realizing that more open, inclusive and participatory scientific practice in which citizens and social parties are also part of the scientific process. You are the connector, director and inspirer in this area. You have a clear vision of the importance and needs of Citizen Science and Societal Engagement. You are the pivot in the web of the Dutch community or you can demonstrate that you can quickly acquire that position. You organize meetings and contribute to the development of policy and subsidy instruments so that Citizen Science and Societal Engagement become even more firmly anchored in the Dutch research landscape in the coming years.
In practice it means that you:
- are responsible for the development of a Citizen Science / Societal Engagement program line along the lines of the ambitions formulated in the NPOS;
- together with your colleagues, translate these ambitions into funding instruments and organize them in such a way that applicants (institutions and researchers) are challenged to make innovative proposals;
- acts as community manager of the wider community in the field of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement, contributes to activities to connect parties and stimulate cooperation, eg by organizing meetings or workshops;
- closely monitors developments in the field of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement, identifies new developments and places them on the agenda;
- act as secretary in the project proposal review process;
- are responsible for the further development, implementation and evaluation of NWO policy in the field of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement in line with the strategic principles of NWO, and ensure coordination within NWO;
- builds and maintains a relevant (inter)national network with organizations in this field.
You bring this
- demonstrable experience and affinity with the broader Open Science agenda and a real drive to make Open Science the norm;
- several years of work experience in the implementation and development of science policy, preferably in the field of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement;
- an infectious enthusiasm for the potential of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement to make the scientific process more open, inclusive and participatory;
- a convincing vision of the position of Citizen Science / Societal Engagement within the broader Open Science agenda and what is needed to promote that development in the Netherlands;
- excellently able to organize, inspire and enthuse the community;
- attention to and insight into (in)formal relationships, positions and interests within and outside NWO and the capacity to respond adequately to these;
- an independent work attitude in which you also function well in a team, with a sense of proportion;
- good communication skills, both orally and in writing in Dutch and English;
- experience in maintaining contacts and cooperation in science and with representative national organizations such as UNL, NFU, SURF, KNAW;
- knowledge of grant processes at NWO or other financiers or the willingness to develop them;
- a completed academic education.
You recognize yourself in the core values of NWO: involved, reliable, connecting and groundbreaking.
This is where you come to work
The Open Science governing body is in the starting blocks and currently consists of a quartermaster/director and 2 policy officers. In the coming year, th