More on OA and the national interest
peter.suber's bookmarks 2021-02-17
"When I blogged Adler's quote yesterday, I was inclined to let its absurdity speak for itself. But I think David is right to take the time to show how dishonest it really is. I'd add the following to what he has already said.
- We're talking about published research, not classified research that isn't published.
- Thank goodness our enemies can't afford to pay subscriptions or visit libraries.
- Thank goodness Americans have never benefited from scientific advances made by non-Americans.
- Thank goodness harming Americans has the side-effect of harming foreigners. At least our sacrifice is not in vain.
- Thank goodness publishers are willing to collect subscription fees for this patriotic purpose.
- Thank goodness publishers are willing to shoulder the responsibility of controlling access to our research. We realize that they didn't have to. They didn't conduct this research, write it up, or fund it...."