White House directs Social Security to cut phone lines and end services
beSpacific 2025-03-25
Axios: “The Social Security Administration is rushing cuts to phone services at the White House’s request, the agency’s acting commissioner told Social Security advocates in a meeting on Monday, two sources who attended tell Axios. Why it matters: These changes will strain the already struggling Social Security system and deprive some people of benefits entirely, according to current and former employees and advocates for retirees.
- Some of the most vulnerable Americans — including people who are hospitalized, kids in foster homes and those living in remote areas — will be effectively blocked from applying for disability benefits, according to one advocate who spoke with Axios and was at the meeting.
Driving the news: Acting commissioner Leland Dudek said the changes in question would usually take two years to implement, but will be made in two weeks instead, the two sources said on condition of anonymity due to fears of retaliation.
- Dudek also said the changes, happening so fast and with little public understanding, will create opportunities for scammers, one of the sources said.
- There will be individuals who will be victims of fraud as a result of the changes, Dudek said, according to one attendee. He said in the past Social Security had been too “thoughtful” in considering beneficiaries before making changes…”
- Musk has asserted: Tens of millions of dead people over 100 years old are receiving benefits — which isn’t true. DOGE has already been making mistakes as it drives cuts at the agency. A big target: The agency makes up 20% of federal spending, making it core to Musk’s promise to cut $2 trillion from the budget. But less than 1% of its recent payments were found to be improper.”